Mr. Schwab has tried more than one hundred twenty-five product liability and major damage cases of all types to a verdict throughout the State of New York and in other jurisdictions. He has tried to a successful defense verdict cases involving claims of defective automobiles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, childseats, industrial machinery and equipment, cranes, electrical equipment, home products, nuclear plant design and vessel design. He has acted as national coordinating counsel on various product lines for leading manufacturers. Mr. Schwab is listed in numerous peer-reviewed publications, has given more than one hundred twenty-five lectures on trial techniques and products liability, and has authored numerous articles on trial techniques, evidence, product liability and product liability prevention.
He is a fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Past Chair of the Trial Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association, and Past President of the New York Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Mr. Schwab has been listed in the peer reviewed "The Best Lawyers in America" since 1983 and The International Who's Who of Product Liability Lawyers since 1997. "He is a Member of the Character and Fitness Committee of the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Judicial Department since 2005."
- Nominated for the Life Time Achievement Award for 2013 by the New York City Trial Lawyers Association
- The New York Area's Best Lawyers (New York Magazine, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010)
- New York Super Lawyers - Manhattan Edition 2006,2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010)
- Top 100 New York Metro Lawyers (New York Times 2008 and 2009)
- The Best Lawyers in America (Seaview/Putnam, 1983 to date)
- The Best Lawyers in New York (New York Magazine, 1995)
- The Best Lawyers in the United States (Town & Country, 1985)
- Who's Who in American Law (Marquis 1983 to date)
- Who's Who in the East (Marquis, 1977 to date)
- International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers (1997 to date)
- Who's Who of Defense Lawyers in Negligence Field (New York Journal, April 22, 1983)
- Defense Heavy Hitters in Tort Suits (New York Law Journal, March 21, 1979)
- Martindale-Hubbell (A/V Rating)
Over 125 major civil cases tried to verdict throughout New York State and in other jurisdictions, including:
- Derdiarian v. Felix Contracting Corp., 51 N.Y.2d 308; 434 N.Y.S.2d 180
- Caprara v. Chrysler Corporation, 52 N.Y.2d 114; 436 N.Y.S.2d 251
- Burgos v. Lutz, 128 A.D.2d 496; 512 N.Y.S.2d 424
- Ruby v. Budget Rent-A-Car, 23 A.D.3d 257; 806 N.Y.S.2d 12
- "Palsgraf Revisited - A Brief Amicus Analysis. New York State Bar Association News, November/December 2006, Vol. 48 No. 6.
- "Cross-Examination of the Infant Witness. Trial Lawyers Section Digest, New York State Bar Association, Fall 2006 No. 53.
- "Is It Junk or Geniune? Precluding Unreliable Scientific Testimony in New York - A Look at the Last 10 Years in the Wake of Frye and Daubert", New York State Bar Association, November/December 2004, Vol. 76, No. 9.
- "The Law on Summations", Civil Trial Practice, New York County Lawyers Association, March 2004.
- "Preclusion of the Ipse Dixit Expert: A Summary of Relevant Caselaw", Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section Journal, New York State Bar Association, Winter 2001, (Vol. 30, No. 1).
- "Innovative Trial Procedures for a New Century", For the Defense, the Defense Research Institute (April 2000).
- "My Favorite Case", Amicus, Product Liability Advisory Council (Feb. 2000).
- "Liriano: Failure to Warn When All Else Fails", Product Liability Subcommittee, Federation of Insurance and Corporate Council (March 1999).
- "Products Liability: Subsequent Remedial Measures," New York Law Journal, December 13, 1995.
- "Reducing Corporate Exposure Through Product Liability Prevention," The American Lawyer, Preventative Law Special Report, March 1992.
- Automobile Crashworthiness Litigation. The Seat Belt Defense. New York State Bar Association, June 1, 2007.
- Voir Dire - 30th Annual Civil Trial Practice, New York County Lawyers Association, March 17, 2007.
- Summations - 30th Annual Civil Trial Practice, New York County Lawyers Association, March 17, 2007.
- Judicial Gatekeeping of Scientific Evidence of Expert Testimony, 2005 Judicial Seminars for Judges, June 21, July 11, 14, 18 and 26, 2005.
- Use of Damage Experts on Direct and Cross-Examination at Trial, Lester Schwab Katz & Dwyer, March 8, 2004.
- Cross Examination of the Expert Witness - Trial Demonstration, Masters In Trial, New York State Bar Association, January 23, 2003.
- Winning Techniques for Defense Summations, New York State Bar Association, December 6, 2002.
- Masters in Trial: Trial Demonstration (Cross-Examination of Accident Reconstruction Expert) American Board of Trial Advocates, New York County Lawyers Association, February 22, 2002.
- Judicial Gatekeeping: Evidentiary Issues - 2001 Summer Judicial Seminars (For New York State Judges), July 11 and July 18, 2001.
- How to Defend a Product Liability Case. Queens County Bar Association, April 5, 2000.
International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
American Board of Trial Advocates (past President, NY Chapter)
New York State Bar Association (past Chairman, Trial Lawyers Section)
Federation of Insurance Counsel (Past Vice President)
American Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Defense Association of New York
New York Trial Lawyers Association
- 1956 J.D. Boston College Law School
- 1953 B.A. Harvard University